Open a Book, Find a Treasure!
Under the Sea Reading Program
Dear Parents/Guardians ~
We are so excited to have partnered with the Eisenschmidt Pool in St. Helens and the Portland Aquarium to bring you the Under the Sea Reading Program!
Our Reading Incentive Program will run from Monday, March 2, 2015 through Sunday, March 29, 2015. Students have the chance to earn a small prize each week, as well as celebrate our successes with a Pool Party at the Eisenschmidt Pool in St. Helens on Saturday, April 4 from 2:30-4:30pm (under 7 requires a parent to be in the pool at the same time). Each participant in the program will also receive a ticket for free admission for themselves and one adult to the Portland Aquarium to be used by December 20, 2015.
This is how the program will work:
- Students track their reading minutes on a weekly record. Each week’s record is attached to this letter, but should only be returned on its corresponding week (with 2 being returned the Monday after Spring Break).
- Students in Kindergarten, 1st and 2nd grade should read 20 minutes each day, 3rd, 4th, and 5th should read 30 minutes each day. The goal is to read daily. Extra reading time can be listed next to the corresponding date box, so I can congratulate them on their commitment to reading.
- When all boxes have been marked (dated, “x” out, colored in, or whatever method you decide to use) and the record is signed by a parent/caregiver, the reading record is turned in to their classroom teacher or directly to the library. Records are due on Mondays (two on March 30, due to Spring Break).
- Awards will be distributed to students who have completed a record for that week during their library class.
- The program will run for a total of four weeks, giving students four opportunities to turn in reading records.
- The last Monday to turn in reading records will be March 30.
As always, reading to your child counts towards their minutes goal. If you have any questions, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org or 503-621-3426.